Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb 10.1: One Word.



December 1 – One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)
Growth. 


To say that the year has been overall positive or overall negative isn't easy to do, especially because I imagine anything could happen in the next 29 days. Sort of like anything has happened in the the string of '29 days' that have made up 2010. But there is a consistent beauty in a year that has been full of new adventures, momentous firsts, happy endings mixed with heartbreaking losses, the total and complete experience of 'all good things must come to an end,' and the multitude of injuries that have been inflicted on my physical, mental, and emotional self. That consistency is the opportunity to grow. Because we can't always control what happens to us, but we can control what we do next-- how we choose to react, the way we choose to think about everything and, maybe more importantly, how we choose to think about ourselves.

And overall, this year I am proud of myself. I completed my Masters degree from a school that is one of the top institutions in its field. With a 3.9 GPA. I landed my dream internship that has extended well beyond the initial 3 months promised, and on Monday will become a long-term temp position which provides more stability and a little more pay than the internship. And overall continues to be a safe place to learn, gain experience, and work creatively with people I have grown to love as colleagues and as friends. I completed 2 triathlons, a ride/run race (up and down ski slopes, I might add), various 5Ks, and I played in my first slowpitch softball rec league. I have worked hard to be a more authentic friend and that change is not always easy; it sometimes means saying no to people you adore and saying things that are blunt/honest (I have a difficult discerning and delivering the difference) and not expected by the listener.

Adventure.


2011 is going to be a great year. After all, the last 24 years have sort of established a status quo of great years. But if 2010 was a bit of a rebuilding year, figuring out where to go next and how to use the tools and experiences I had spent so long cultivating, 2011 is going to be about taking all of that to the next level. Pushing myself out of my comfort zone to continue to try new things with joy and curiosity. Regard novel moments with the awe they deserve and bask in the warmth of the beautiful relationships in my life. And maybe do something a little crazy. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie, I've enjoyed reading your Reverb posts. Congrats on finishing 3 triathlons! You've inspired me to pick up my walking poles and go for a hike in the snow later. "Adventure" is my word for 2011 also. I hope we both find it.

    ReplyDelete